> MM: Marine Animal Campaign: Arluq the Orca, Scenario Walk-thru
OldLadyMoose
post Jan 26 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #1

Zoos start with a Moose
Group Icon

Group: DRT [Mod]

Member No.: 2522

This article is an original, copyrighted work and protected under copyright laws. Members have permission to print pages or email them to yourself for your own personal use, however, please do not distribute them without express permission from the author!

Biome: Boreal Forest
Map Size: Medium
Difficulty: Hard
Starting Funds: $40,000

Raise an orca orphaned after a mass stranding. Complete all the scenarios in this campaign to unlock the Blue Whale Hall

Goals:

Sometimes while hunting prey an individual orca may strand itself on shore. Much more rare are mass strandings of orcas, where entire pods of orcas strand themselves on the beach. Scientists do not know exactly why these mass strandings occur.

Arluq, an adolescent female, is the sole survivor rescued from a mass orca stranding in the Arctic. She is being kept at a temporary facility, while officials from the Orca Rescue and Care Association look for a permanent home for her. The association wants to place her in a well-established zoo with adequate financial resources.

If you can earn $5,000 in donations for marine animals, the association will donate Arluq to your zoo.

The scenario opens with a 1/2 star rating. You will need at least a 4 star rating to complete this scenario. Once Arluq is delivered, you only have 3 months to either release her to the wild or obtain a mate and wait til she has her baby.

Because I had failed this scenario in the past by receiving Arluq when my zoo was only 3-1/2 stars, the first thing I did was to remove the donation boxes near the marine exhibits, so that I could build my zoo to 4 or 5 stars before I received the $5,000 in donations.

I worked slow and steady, recycling what I could, using cliffs rather than fences in the exhibits with the exception of the viewing areas, releasing all the new births to the wild as soon as possible, researching and purchasing enrichment items, and hiring 3 educators. I did most of the zookeeper and maintenance duties myself, although I did hire 3 zookeepers and a maintenance worker when my zoo fame reached 4 stars.

At 5 stars, I had just over $10,000. I purchased the seal prey dummy, which was $1,500. I put out the donation boxes. In less than a month, I received:

You did such an excellent job in raising donations, that the Orca Rescue and Care Association donated Arluq to your zoo! You’ll find Arluq, an adolescent orca, crated near the entrance to your zoo. Now it’s up to you to take care of this magnificent animal. Build an exhibit for her and take care of all her basic needs.

I put Arluq in the existing tundra exhibit, From previous experience, I knew that Arluq wouldn’t attack and kill the beluga or penguins if she was constantly supplied with the Artic cod and Yellowfin Tuna. I also gave her the big pink pursuit ball and clam bubbler.

I immediately received $25,000 (which gave me about $36,000). I also received this message:

You did a fine job with Arluq! The Orca Rescue and Care Association wants you to continue caring for her for the next 3 months. Then, one of their inspectors will assess her situation and make a recommendation for her future. (Tip: If you manage to get your zoo to 5 stars, you’ll unlock some things that will help keep Arluq happy, such as the seal prey dummy.)

I put the already purchased seal prey dummy in her tank. I then saved the game under 2 separate names: There are 2 different approaches you can take at this point.

Option 1: I played adoption roulette until an orca was on the adoption panel. If it takes 3 months to get sufficient funds to purchase a male orca, and Arluq is happy, you will receive a message that the inspector wants you to get Arluq a mate. (You will receive no reward for adopting the male.) At this time I needed an additional $10,000. I paused the game and recycled everything I could until I had the $50,000 to adopt a male. I then waited for her to become pregnant. When the baby was born, I received:

There’s a new arrival at your zoo. Arluq is a proud mother. You started a whole new orca community at your zoo.

Your scenario is successfully completed. You get to keep Arluq and her baby. After all this hard work, this is the option I like the best.

Option 2: Continue to build your zoo, while you simply wait for the 3 months to pass. If the seal prey dummy didn’t make Arluq happy enough to release, you will receive:

Three months passed and an inspector from the Orca Rescue and Care Association assessed Arluq’s current living environment. He’s concerned that her social needs are not being met. Orcas are very social animals that do not do well in isolation.

The inspector’s recommendation is that you release Arluq into the wild, where she can interact with other orcas. He’s confident that this is the best decision for her future health and happiness.

Transporting and safely releasing a large marine animal like an orca is expensive! You need to raise an additional $20,000 before you can return Arluq to the wild.

Do what you can to continue building your zoo while you wait for the donations to roll in. When the $20,000 has been received, you will receive this message:

Outstanding work! You raised more than $20,000 for Arluq’s safe release. It’s time now for her to return home. Release Arluq to the wild to complete the scenario.

It is now possible to release her and when this has been accomplished, the scenario ends successfully.

Zoo Overview
December Year 1, 5 star zoo, scenario completed

This post has been edited by OldLadyMoose: Jan 26 2007, 10:30 PM

--------------------
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." ~Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OldLadyMoose
post Jan 27 2007, 09:06 PM
Post #2

Zoos start with a Moose
Group Icon

Member No.: 2522

This is the Blue Whale Hall that you will unlock upon completion of the Marine Animal Campaign.

--------------------
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." ~Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Stormy
post Jan 27 2007, 09:10 PM
Post #3

Flutter By Butterfly

Group: Retired Staff [Retired Staff]

Member No.: 2949

You do amazing articles to help people with getting through the ZT2 scenarios! Beautiful OLM! biggrin.gif

--------------------

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated." ~Mahatma Gandhi~

+Quote Post
kittisbat
post Jan 27 2007, 09:16 PM
Post #4

Black Leopard

Group: Zookeeper

Member No.: 4806

Does that mean you can't go inside it? That stinks... Oh, and wonderful article OLM!

This post has been edited by kittisbat: Jan 27 2007, 09:18 PM

+Quote Post
Howlingmoon
post Jan 27 2007, 09:19 PM
Post #5

White Wolf

Member No.: 5152

QUOTE (kittisbat @ Jan 27 2007, 03:16 PM) *
Does that mean you can't go inside it? That stinks...

You can, in fact, walk inside the whale hall while in guest mode. wink.gif

--------------------
Howlingmoon "Moonie" Wolvespirit

Rule one.....the AQ method works..if you're not sure...click the buttons and find out! hehehe
Rule two....stay away from the delete button unless you are absolutly sure!

~~Marlizdu

+Quote Post
Anyajoy
post Jan 27 2007, 09:40 PM
Post #6

Dedicated Ailuromaniac
Group Icon

Member No.: 2075

Yes, I found this out just recently, not having had much time to play MM2 prior to the holidays. It's fun to walk in and stand alongside guests and watch them "learning." biggrin.gif

--------------------

"God made the cat in order that humankind might have the pleasure of caressing the tiger." --Fernand Mey
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life -- music and cats." --Albert Schweitzer

+Quote Post
Babale
post Jan 28 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #7

Werewolf Berserker

Group: Tour Guide

Member No.: 5371

AND animals will use it for shade (my warrior... er, i mean, escaped tiger)

--------------------

+Quote Post
kittisbat
post Jan 28 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #8

Black Leopard

Group: Zookeeper

Member No.: 4806

LOL! You've got to be kidding, right? ROFL.gif

+Quote Post
Zack
post Feb 12 2007, 03:50 AM
Post #9

Partially a Panda

Member No.: 6124

Is there a certain fame requirement to use the Blue Whale Hall?
I currently have a 1.5 Star fame in one of my challenge mode games, but it's not appearing.

--------------------

We never know how high we are
Till we are asked to rise

And then if we are true to plan
Our statures touch the skies-

The Heroism we recite
Would be a normal thing

Did not ourselves the Cubits warp
For fear to be a King-

-Emily Dickinson

http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=lunefatale
http://country-day.myminicity.com

+Quote Post
Howlingmoon
post Feb 12 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #10

White Wolf

Member No.: 5152

I think it was three or four stars. I'd have to boot ZT2 up to double check, and I can't atm. Pretty sure it was three or four stars, though.

--------------------
Howlingmoon "Moonie" Wolvespirit

Rule one.....the AQ method works..if you're not sure...click the buttons and find out! hehehe
Rule two....stay away from the delete button unless you are absolutly sure!

~~Marlizdu

+Quote Post
Zack
post Feb 12 2007, 09:16 AM
Post #11

Partially a Panda

Still a little bit to go then...
Thanks. smile.gif

--------------------

The Heroism we recite
Would be a normal thing

For fear to be a King-

-Emily Dickinson

+Quote Post
Zack
post Feb 19 2007, 11:36 PM
Post #12

Partially a Panda

Still having an issue with the Blue Whale Hall- it's not appearing, even in Freeform mode.

When I checked the Persistent Awards, it says I've yet to complete the Marine Animal campaigns, but on the Campaign selecter, it says I've already completed the Marine Animals campaigns. The only thing I did different with this campaign was I kept playing after the window came up saying I won the scenario.

Any ideas of what I did wrong/why it's not appearing?

--------------------

The Heroism we recite
Would be a normal thing

For fear to be a King-

-Emily Dickinson

+Quote Post
Anyajoy
post Feb 20 2007, 12:34 AM
Post #13

Dedicated Ailuromaniac
Group Icon

Member No.: 2075

No, Zack, but I think the same thing happened to me with one of the original scenarios. I won the panda scenario but it's not checked off in the list and I don't have the panda statue either. :( I've pretty much decided that when I get some time I'll have to let that one run and wait until another baby panda is born.

Someone else may have a suggestion for you.

--------------------

"God made the cat in order that humankind might have the pleasure of caressing the tiger." --Fernand Mey
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life -- music and cats." --Albert Schweitzer

+Quote Post
Soopermum62
post Feb 20 2007, 04:13 AM
Post #14

Snow Leopard Mistress
Group Icon

Member No.: 26

Zack have you completed all the marine animal campaigns? (including the tutorials?)

This post has been edited by Soopermum62: Feb 20 2007, 04:17 AM

--------------------
Soopermum62
Unleashed DRT

"You become responsible forever, for what you have tamed."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery French writer (1900 - 1944)

+Quote Post
Zack
post Feb 20 2007, 04:26 PM
Post #15

Partially a Panda

That really bites, Anya. :(

I've completed all of the Marine Animal Campaigns, and the only Marine Mania campaigns I haven't finished (or started on) are the Marine Shows.

--------------------

The Heroism we recite
Would be a normal thing

For fear to be a King-

-Emily Dickinson

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2014 - 12:58 AM