Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Multiple animals in one exibit
Zoo Tycoon Unleashed Forums > Zoo Tycoon 2 > ZT2 Tour Guides > What's Your Strategy?
Pages: 1, 2
Katy
I know you can put different species in the same exibit, but what animals can go together? Thanks
Anyajoy
Two replies:

1.It's sometimes most fun to experiment by just putting animals from the same biome together. Keep tabs on them and pay attention though. smile.gif

2. Go back to the forums for Zoo Tycoon 2 and check out Zookeepers Area instead of the Tour Guides. Bengal recently posted lots of great info. on the animals in ZT2, including which animals can be placed together. For example, if you check out Bengal's Mountain Gorilla post, one sentence is about putting gorillas, chimps, okapi, and lemurs together in the same exhibit. Go check it out! biggrin.gif
TigerKitty
Hi and Welcome to the Forums clap.gif

The Neat thing about ZT2 is you can easily make real predator-prey exhibits and have the animals peacefully coexist...
(but like anya said you have to watch them and take GOOD care of the predators)
my moose / grizzly exhibit was fine for a long time, till there were too many babies
and the grizzlies started feeling crowded...then ummm moose munchies !

So just try things out and have fun !

Later
cat.gif
TigerKitty
polarman
So far I have found that a few combos from zoo1 work well ie zebra giraffes, hippos and flamingos, crocks work too with the flamingos but keep the big guys feed blink.gif Also give gemsbocks and kangaroos a try, becarefull though both need alot of space :rockon:
Katy
Thanks you guys!!
Naz
I let a leopard, a lion and lots of gazelles run free in my zoo and the lion didn't eat the gazelles nor the guests. The guests didn't even get scared when the lion walked past. I even made a picture of my lion and my gazelle walking together. Eventually, though, the leopard got hungry and killed a gazelle. Then it ate some and went somewhere else. The lion came and ate the rest of the gazelle.. So yes they can live together but you really should watch them carefully and make sure the predators are well-fed.
Babale
When making a huge savanah, jungle, wetland, desert, scrub exhibit, i discovered that animals tend to stick in groups of realistic size! For example, my herd of 15 gazelles seperated into 2, each lead by 1 male, and they stayde around the border of the savanah/scrub! Zebras stayde in groups of 7, and stayed near the water hole! My rhinos and elephants were also a group

Pack hunters are lions, etc. they hunt in groups. i saw intresting behavior: when a member of the pack catches prey, other members don't attack, even if they are still hungry. They stay with the pack at all times

Loners: tigers, leopards and jaguars. they hunt alone, or with a mate. fathers leave mothers, and if they bump into grown babays, they will attack. vampire.gif transform.gif because of thier lonely nature, they tend to have less babaies in lager exhibits. taz.gif :rooster: :dolphin: cat.gif :colorful bounce: gorrillas are somewhat loners, as they wander away from the group. however, they always meet again when the male calls them.

using these stats, you can learn where to place food in multi-species exhibits. hoped this helped.
Babale
i just saw something else: migrating! the loners, apperenttly, move around much more freely then packs and herd, because they go wherever they want, not waiting for others. anyways, a tiger got near my gazells, and scared the. i noticed that they usually ran togherther, and even when they seperated, they go back in a group soon. anyways, after being scared away from food or water, they seperated to find food. they always do that when their starving, BTW. anyways, the the herd seperated, and 1 gazelle joined another group. i found the rest regrouping by an oasis with food around it, so they met up again. However, they crossed half the large savvanah map(!!!) sepratly, then, luckly, got back together. i studied what happens when they choose between groups, so when two herd met, some left, and some joined. dancing tiger.gif however, when they met again, it was completely random: in another test, they each joined another herd, with one joining a zebra herd!

in pack hunting, two packs of lions met. one male killed the other, and doubled the size of the pack! also, when babies grew up, they ran away before the dad coud kill them. they lived alone, till they met the pack again. then a fight would start, and usually, the younger lion took over the pack. when 2 packs combined, baby ratings doubled, and my lions were finishing food WAAAAAAAY too fast. i had to... ;et's just say, let some go... *cough* dundee *cough* eventually, the pack will break up, with female only groups becoming extinct early, and the other groups surviving. i tried adding 1 male to each male-less group, but then i had 10 packs of lions walking around, and pretty soon, they met, 1 ruled them all, then they broke up. eventually, i had 1 pack agaion, then 6, then 2, then steady again.
PsychicZookeeper
Interesting behaviors! I confess that, especially in the original ZT2, my game ran so choppy that I did not have the patience to watch the way you have. Seems I missed a lot!
Babale
yes, you have. make a contest on it? wink.gif
PsychicZookeeper
we have something planned, in the works for a few weeks/months now wink.gif
Babale
QUOTE (PsychicZookeeper @ Sep 8 2006, 03:34 AM) *
we have something planned, in the works for a few weeks/months now wink.gif

please make it no expensions, cause i came up with it!
PsychicZookeeper
Like I said, we have had this in the works since May, but we can tailor many for those with no expansions, at your request!
kittisbat
(yes this is from an expansion) The wolves and wild dogs will split up imediatley to form packs. When they meet though (wich rarely happens, they are quite solitary when it comes to other packs) they did it to fight for land, wich of course means they wont swich packs.
Golden panda
I've seen a male gorrilla have a weird behaviour.The activity was 'Calling Troups'. Anyone ever seen that?
dinonut
ive seen it gp
t'ni
A bunch of gorillas is called a troup and in the wild, there is always ONE male who leads the troup. Other males are allowed, but they can't breed. Thus, the lead gorilla will come home from whatever they do and announce, "I'm home. Come and pay homage!!" I've seen a male "calling his troup" in ZT2, but I don't know if they've programmed one male to be the lead (alpha) male, or if any male can "call his troup".

My farm cats exhibit this behavior also. You can tell which male is the tom by his voice.
Babale
when i finally got mm, i started working on pred/prey(yes, it is for micheal critchton's PREY!) beheviors. i found that my orcas were either VERY lucky or smart: every time they chased my belugas, they pushed them agains a wall and trapped them. i also found that most animals will "swimming with____", making them stick toghether
kittisbat
Do you only have MM2? You should get some otheres so we can hear whats happens with them. Like secretary birds and............................ (someone puts tape on mouth and keyboard to stop the typing)
Babale
i would love too, but sadly, i must save my cash for EA. hey, im only 13! im not ritch!
Muffin
QUOTE (babale @ Jan 21 2007, 04:22 AM) *
i would love too, but sadly, i must save my cash for EA. hey, im only 13! im not ritch!

I'm 12 (13 in May) I have EA,AA and am getting MM2 on teusday. I have a paper route that pays about $140 a month.
aar0nd1
Great intel in this post. I have a coupla questions.

1) How big are the maps you're using? I never ever see behaviors like this, mostly likely because my exhibits aren't big enough to let packs of this size form.

2) Is there any positive impact to having large groups like this in your zoo? Do guests flip out seeing a pack of animals moving togher more than seeing only a few?

3) My impression is that seeing a critter get killed produces unhappiness in guests. Anyone know if this is a lot or a little unhappiness? Or maybe some guests are sadistic and LIKE seeing animals get killed.....hmm......

Aaron

PS - Ok y'all gotta stop posting your ages. You are making me feel like an old man!!!!! whistle.gif laugh.gif
Muffin
I'm not sure if the guests get mad but i know they like the multispecies exhibit
Babale
QUOTE (aar0nd1 @ Feb 7 2007, 04:47 AM) *
Great intel in this post. I have a coupla questions.

1) How big are the maps you're using? I never ever see behaviors like this, mostly likely because my exhibits aren't big enough to let packs of this size form.

2) Is there any positive impact to having large groups like this in your zoo? Do guests flip out seeing a pack of animals moving togher more than seeing only a few?

3) My impression is that seeing a critter get killed produces unhappiness in guests. Anyone know if this is a lot or a little unhappiness? Or maybe some guests are sadistic and LIKE seeing animals get killed.....hmm......

Aaron

PS - Ok y'all gotta stop posting your ages. You are making me feel like an old man!!!!! whistle.gif laugh.gif

1) i use medium or large maps, but, as these are expirements, i use the whole zoo as 1 exhibit. however, an exhibit big enough for say, 4 cheetahs, would show packs of zebras or gazzles

2) like i said, i never open the zoo, so i dunnu

3) that is true, but if there are intresting behaviors, they soon forget
Shannon
In one of the photo challenges you have to get A pic. 'Calling Troups' so I have seen it A few times He is siting and he started to yall for the trops to come to him. It did not take to long to get the pic.
Golden panda
Okay, well I understand the fact of the pack hunting and stuff, but wouldn't eventually the predators start turning their hunting skills against others in the pack? I mean, if they're's no more prey for them to hunt, they might as well.... you get the picture.

And I've had some awesome evidence of the cat tests (remember, the cat tests?). Well, I would let one black leopard eat the prey, and I would sell the carcass. Well, there was no more prey, the black leopard pack (7 members, 3 male, 2 female, 2 cubs) would go around the whole zoo in search, but they had a post: only the males went. They females stayed with the cubs, and the leopards stopped mating for 3 months (don't worry, I fed them eventually). Soon, 2 males went against each other for food, and yeah.
kittisbat
Harsh! Feed the poor things! wink.gif
LionsJustDontLikePeople
When I had T's Gazelles often one would meander off and the other's would stay in a pack. This was unfortunate when I did the (make your zoo look like) africa challenge, because the loner would be eaten by my lions. My cheetahs also ate chimpanzees that would wander off--as they came down from a tree the cheetah would pounce. Whenever a guest happened to wander into my zoo a lion would run over and attack it, then in turn get attacked by my cheetahs for being away from his pack and vulnerable.. But my gorrillas stick together. Mostly that's because they're grooming eachother, but they usually don't wander off.
Just my $0.2.
Pink
When I started a Grey Wolf exhibit, I had 4 females and 6 males. 3 of the females were attacked and killed moderately quickly. Anybody know a reason for this?

EDIT: It wasn't because of hunger. There were several fully stocked things of meat when the attacks happened.
Pink
Sorry for the double post but I also have a question about some loner Ardvarks. I have 2 males and one female in a multispecies exhibit. The seocnd species is the animal that looks like a Gazelle with a enlongated neck. Starts with a "G". Well, the Gazelle-type animals have mated but the Ardvarks haven't. Are they usually hard to breed?
taysha
As for the wolves: having just one mating pair is usually the best. If you click on the message "wolf xx has been killed" you will be taken to the killer.... I bet it is the last female that killed the others. The game has made the wolves rather aggressive towards each other. Too aggressive for realism, sadly. :(

As for the gerenuks and the aardvarks: the gerenuks are very easy to breed, but I usually also get young aardvarks fairly quickly. ... are all their needs met...they require quite a lot of space. The anthills are their favorite food dispenser....
Babale
BREAKING NEWS! MM2 has the OFFICIAL herding behavior! my male gazzeles started "calling to herd" when i had only 1 male in the exhibit. when i put 2 in, they both called, and the herd split, until 1 male died of disease(i swore not to interfere) the females spred apart, half were eaten(my lions kept on returning to this high cliff, and when the gazzele came, the lions chased them off the cliff, then jumped off, and ate them. this was also on a cliff, only 2 lvls below the other one, and with only a narrow path leading up, but my lions liked it and moved there) and the other gazzele joined the other herd. BTW, have you noticed a tendency of predetors to chase the prey(if they have opsions) closest to thier last killing site?
Alycehunt
All right, I am going to have to try this. The most that has happened to me is that I had like, 15 lions, stared with three (two girls one boy) In the end, they all started killing one another, and this one lion walked right out the zoo!!
Anyway, I also have a question. In ZT2 ES there is a scenario when you have to look after some Bairds Tapirs. They are right at the top of the zoo. A message came up saying that one of them had escaped, I clicked the message, and it took me to the side of the zoo. There was no animal, and it had disappered off the map. Anyone had this happening??
Ratbag Oz
What happenned was that you tapir went through the wall, almost certainly from either being stuck behind an object or moving out of/away from an object such as a feeding trough or shelter. These should not be placed near walls, or fences. When an animal is trapped outside your zoo it will only remain for a short time before being dissintergrated, so make sure it doesn't happen!

taz.gif
Golden Tiger
Babale my herds/packs started calling eachother and going off before MM as it works with both ES AA too wink.gif
Ratbag Oz
Babale means that it is included in MM, this is important if you only have ZT2 and MM, and not AA or ES........

taz.gif
Animallover_88
It usually happens when I use a large map.I then turn it into a safari and then put the herding animals in and put very many animals in.That is what triggers mine,even though it may not to yours.
23iscool
I really like it when the (something that sounds like pretzel)'s wild horses move in herds. Is it just coincidence, or do they usually mate more after they move in herds? Because I cept trying to breed them, and they wouldn't, but then they started to move in a herd, and after that thay had like ten babies.

Also, I put 5 gorillas (2 males, 3 females) in an exibit with the wrong type of fence, (it was too low) and they went on like usual, right? There was one more 'dominant' male that would always call the troops and stuff. After like three months, he finally climbed over the fence, and they all followed him. It was funny.
Ratbag Oz
Herd behaviour improves happiness, social, and stimulation needs, increased happiness means more chance of mating wink.gif

taz.gif
23iscool
Oh yeah, And once I three jaguars (1 female, two males) and it was a really big exibit so mostly they were just solitary and never really interacted. So, you know how they are always marking their scent on the large rocks? Well, after the female marked her scent on the rock, one of the males marked his scent on it, then came over the female, the other male doing the same thing shortly after. So, they met up and fought, and the female just walked away, (I nearly laughed my head off) but they didn't kill each other, though one of them did obviously win. He went off and mated with the female and she had cubs (both females). When the cubs were grown, the male that had lost the fight in the first place mated with both of them, so there were four cubs, (3 males) and the one female killed the origonal female.
23iscool
QUOTE (Ratbag Oz @ Apr 22 2007, 03:35 PM) *
Herd behaviour improves happiness, social, and stimulation needs, increased happiness means more chance of mating wink.gif

taz.gif

Hmm, that makes sence. Why didn't I think of that? blink.gif
Dinomibble
Despite the advice of lots of people, some people (not me of course... whistle.gif ) will put predators in exhibits with prey. This may cost you a lot of money in replacing animals. But there is a simple way to cut down the hunting. This has been found by studying the affects of reversing this to encourage hunting (who could be so cruel? whistle.gif ). Anway, simply remove all the large grasses from the exhibit, espeically where there is lots together.

So to save your animals from the dinner plate, mow your exhibits! wink.gif
zt2 obsessive fan
hmm...thats interesting. what i usually do with, for example, moose and bears is that i always make sure that the bear has a lot of food and the dishes are always full. sometimes i divide the exhibt in half and put a river with rocks. that usually keep the bears away! cool.gif
Shannon
I have had good luck with making sure all the animals have food and then water in wide open ares so they all fell safe. Plus A safe place to rest.
Dinomibble
Yeh, of course that works too, and it's a golden rule, but this is more for the hunters that kill for the sake of killing. That thing about rocks in the river is interesting though. Shallow or deep?
zt2 obsessive fan
well, the ends were shallow and the middle was deepish (i mean i smoothed it out a little with the terrian tool wink.gif ) I only had one moose cross into the "danger zone" but didn't get attacked. smile.gif
Issabella
I once put 4 wolves togethor...one of the boys got matted and killed the last girl wolf..... :sheep: :unsure:
Dinomibble
I bought MM and EA for my birthday, so I got all the expansions within months of becoming hooked on the game! Interestingly, when I put my lions in a large savannah map, the femal lions would move around in a group, and if one lion attacked, the others would then surround the prey in a swarm! Also, when animals move around as a group, does the activity bar say they are? because I've seen lots of animals gather, but it says they are not.

I find that with Lions, they cannot make a kill without the pack. Also, planting lot of high grasses increases the chances of the lions making a kill (see my article on it!).

P.S. sorry for double posting, but I only just came up with this!
MiguelPK
hi, i'm new here^^

Question time: do you have to do anything special so that they move in packs/herds? cause with me that doesn't happens... I tried with gazelles, zebras, wildebeests, lions and they just scatter all around the map
i've just seen the "moving to pack" (or whatever) and etc behaviors in enclosures =|
I usually play in large maps, and don't put any kind of enclosure around...

(sorry for my english, i'm portuguese)
Cameron
I have notice a new behaviour with the East African Oryx. I was building a lagre a exhibt and I mean large and there was an oassis in the bottom conner of the zoo the Oryx went there and I noticed three of them on the perimiter of the oassis (abot 3meters out) and they were acting as lookouts because there were lions cheates and wild dogs while the others drank and ate then they would swithch it would be interesting to know if anyone else has noticed this
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.